So, the most important, influential person that God has placed in my life is turning 24 today, my husband! In honor of him, as we ll as to show him just how much he means to me and just how proud I am to be his bride, I figured I would write him a public love letter of encouragement showcasing 24 qualities I admire about him. Because let’s face it, a husbands job to Biblically lead and protect his family is a pretty tall order, especially if he is succeeding. So really all husbands who are making that effort deserve some props. I just happen to personally feel that celebrating the day my husband was born is one of the most fitting days to do it 🙂 Therefore without further adieu, I present to you:
24 Reasons Why I, Elisabeth Blair Pomeroy, Love My Husband, Matthew Clark Pomeroy, on His 24th Birthday:
1. He fervently pursues Jesus in all he does. Matt is constantly allowing God to work in him and shape him into the man that God has designed him to be. He doesn’t shy away from the areas that need fixing. Instead I have watched my husband run towards God, time and time again, with an open heart and outstretched hands, as he willingly gives himself over to his creator so that he can be made more like Jesus. This is a HUGE inspiration to me when it comes to allowing God to work on the areas of my heart that need some extra attention, because lets face the truth, we’ve all got a few of those areas. I guess you could say Matt leads me by example in this way.
2. He is humble. No matter how much praise my husband receives, over any given area in his life, he does not become prideful. He doesn’t boast about his accomplishments. Matt actually does the exact opposite of bragging and instead chooses to deflect the attention off of himself and on to the one who deserves all the glory and honor; God.
3. He is forgiving. I can honestly say that I have never seen this man hold a grudge. I have watched my husband forgive others time and time again, whether they have asked for his forgiveness or not, and I have to say that being on the receiving end of this kind of grace is inspiring. It is such a vivid reminder of how all of us have fallen short of the glory of God. How we are all sinners and that no matter what the sin might be, whether we see it as big or small, it is all the same in the Lords eyes. And that just as Jesus took up our multitudes of sin so that we could be forgiven, we need to forgive those who hurt us over and over and over again.
4. He is a man of his word. My husband means what he says. Matt will not make a promise, no matter how minuscule or great it might seem, if he is not positive that he can keep it. This character trait give me so much peace as his wife because I can rest assure that if my husband says he’s going to do something or be some where I know that without of shadow of a doubt he will follow through. Not to mention, the fact that because of this I know that he took the vows that he said before God and me on our wedding day with the upmost serious intention.
5. He is committed. I know without a shadow of a doubt that my husband chooses me daily to make a life with no matter what blessings or trials may come our way.
6. He protects me. Matt is always watching out for me and the well being of our family. He is constantly guarding not only me but our relationship from anything that may harm it. I see this through the proactive boundaries that he has put in place to ensure that our marriage stands firm by keeping Christ at the center. Being married to this type of man has impacted my life in the sheer security that I feel with him. I know that whenever the storms of life come, and they will come, whether they be physical, emotional or spiritual we will be ready to whether them together.
7. He provides for me. I’m not just talking about tangible, physical needs such as a roof over our heads, all the bills being paid and food on the table, although they all apply. The provision that Matt provides for me covers so much more than just the physical realm. He feeds my emotional needs, by being attentive and affectionate towards me, my relational needs by making time for me as well as allowing me to spend time with those who are important in my life, and my spiritual needs by making sure that what God is calling us to is at the forefront of every decision that we make in our marriage.
8. He leads me. Throughout the past two years I have watched Matt become the true definition of a Godly leader. No he’s not perfect, and yes he still makes mistakes, because he is human, but the difference is that he adamantly seeks after what God defines as good and just for his self and our family by laying his life down daily in the way that he lives.
9. He supports me. I know without a shadow of a doubt, that as long as it lines of with the will of God, my husband will back me up on any circumstance. Not only that but he will do whatever he possibly can to see the callings that God has given me specifically in our marriage and our life come to pass. God has worked through Matt’s encouraging words and actions to further build my confidence and reassurance in these areas, especially at times when they have been shaken because Matt is there to build me up and help me see whatever is weighing me down for what it really is and then come against it with me.
10. He is genuine. There is not a two-faced bone is my husbands ever loving body, and by golly I am thankful for it! He sees it how it is and is not swayed by manipulative words or actions.
11. He is honest. This is not to be confused with bluntness because they are two very different things, and the main distinction is that one is that honesty is said with love and bluntness is said foolishly. Because of this I can trust every single word that comes out of my husbands mouth. I know that whatever he says to me will be the whole truth and nothing but the truth, said with the upmost love and respect.
12. He is faithful. Matt is the most dedicated, loyal person I know. He is unwavering in his devotion to all his relationships, not only ours. Anyone who calls my husband a friend knows that when they need someone to stand by them through the good times and the bad, Matt is the guys for the job. This is just one of the many reasons why I am so proud to call him my husband because he not only holds others accountable, but allows others to test his words and values, as well.
13. He has an outstanding work ethic. Whether is be at home, at work or in his own personal life Matt is the farthest thing from lazy. He is constantly putting in the extra time and labor in all areas to assure that none of them go astray or haywire. He is not satisfied with mediocre but instead wants only the greatness that he can achieve through pushing the limits so that there can be growth and development in all aspects of his life.
14. He is creative. Whether it’s a random surprise after work, a movie night on the couch or a romantic date night out on the town Matt is always shaking things up. As his wife this has made me feel extraordinarily special because I can see all the extra time and effort that he puts into our relationship.
15. He is wise. This is the direct result of the fact that he thinks before he speaks and therefore makes sure that whatever comes out of this mouth are words that are intended for good and not harm. When I need someone to help me solve an issue or I need some perspective on a specific situation I know that I can go to Matt and that he will give me biblical sound advice.
16. He is an ambitious dreamer. One of our regular hobbies is to dream together about life and where God will take us in the future. What pathways will we go down? What desires will we see fulfilled? etc. and so forth. I love the fact that my husband doesn’t put limits on anything. I love the fact that he fully agrees with me in the mighty power of God that that all things are possible. Because of these to things he is the best person to create goals with as well as work towards seeing them fulfilled. This gives such hope to the heart. It is such a great feeling to see some the dreams that we talk about being realized or coming into play as our life unfolds and to know that we worked together as a team in order to help make them a reality.
17. He makes me smile. Matt makes me laugh on a daily basis. It really doesn’t matter where we are, what we are doing or how much money we have, regardless Matt and I have an absolute ball together every single day.We are both firm believers in living, and loving, everyday to the fullest. It just makes life that much better to get to do just that with the one God created you for and destined you to be with.
18. He is strong. I’m not just talking about physical strength, although I do enjoy the differences between us, being that he is as about as manly, rough and rugged as they come and I am extremely feminine. The strength that I am referring to though is more of an inner strength that radiates from my husbands core.
19. He is secure in his identity. My husband knows who he is, how he came to be that way and who God is still shaping him to be. Matt is not ashamed of his past because he knows that the events that took place in his life has brought him to where he is today. Neither is he afraid of the future because he knows who has gone before him and therefore does not need to be intimidated since God will never leave his side. Matt does not people please or change with the trend. my husband is who he is and is proud of who God has designed him to be.
20. He treats others with kindness. It doesn’t matter if you are my husbands best friend, favorite family member or a total stranger, I guarantee you he will greet you with a warm smile. Matt is a positive person and is constantly lifting others up, even when what he has to would be difficult for others to deliver in an optimistic loving manner. He doesn’t judge or act self righteously towards others but instead shows an abundance of care and consideration for how they are doing or ways in which he can improve their quality of life.
21. He is fun loving and adventurous. The older I get the more cautious I become. I guess that is why God gave me a thrill seeking, rush loving, heart throb to marry since he knew that I would need someone I felt safe around to be able to assist me in taking some leaps of faith. lol
22. He is my confidant. Matt is my very best friend in the entire world. No matter what is happening, whether it be good or bad, I know I can come to him and confide in him whatever has been laid on my heart. I know that he won’t poke fun at me when I am being goofy and that he will lend me his ear for as long as I need when I have a problem. Most importantly though, I love knowing that whatever is said or done between us will not be aired out in public.
23. He is consistent. Day in and day out, my husband is steady in his emotions towards me and his actions mirror his words.
24. He loves me unconditionally. Despite my hang ups and sinful down-right selfish nature, Matt cares for, shows compassion to, and just plainly put truly loves me; which if you know the real definition of love is anything but plain. It is a difficult thing to walk through life with another person and be there to bear their burdens just as your own, but Matt excels at it and does just that with such ease. He loves me even on my most unlovable day and for that I am utterly thankful for and inspired by.
Again, these are only 24 reasons why I love, value and appreciate my husband. If I could my list would go on and on, over flowing with all the ways God has used Matt to change my life and touch my heart forever.
Happy 24th Birthday Matthew Clark Pomeroy!!! I hope I made you feel extra special as I publicly declared my undying, unwavering devotion, love and gratitude for you. You are an amazing man of God and I am so blessed to have you as my husband and absolutely beyond honored for be your wife.
I love you,