Recently, for a home project, I was looking into the cost of chalkboard paint vs. making my own version. I really didn’t need a whole gallon, which was all I could find at the hardware store and for that matter I really did not want to pay the extra money for something that possibly would sit around in my basement and go bad. Therefore, I found this recipe to make chalkboard paint myself and since I already had 1/2 of the ingredients needed it was a winning idea! All I had to do was buy the color paint I wanted and presto!.. Instant, homemade, easy to make, easy to use Chalkboard paint! Thought I would post the recipe I used here for any other DIYer’s who have decided to go the homespun route with their own Chalkboard inspired projects! 🙂
- 1 cup (8 oz.) paint
- 2 tablespoons unsanded tile grout
- Open the lid of the 8 oz. paint sample jar and add 2 tablespoons unsanded tile grout.
- Now shake extremely well and until all the grout is completely mixed in with the paint.
- Apply to project as you would normal paint and sand the surface by hand with sand paper after application is completely dry.
- Make sure to season the dried chalkboard paint by swiping some chalk over it and then wiping it off!
Good luck on your own DIY adventures!
Much Love & prayer,