As we have mentioned before birthdays, anniversaries and other self made holidays are a pretty big deal in our little family of two. We love celebrating the people and relationships in our lives that mean the most to us. There is just something about showing another person how special they are to you that just brings so much joy to your heart. So of course celebrating the day that my most favorite person in the entire world was born is a must, but here in our household we have an extra special tradition for birthday’s in our family. Some families like to celebrate for a day, others a week, but we like to celebrate the person all month long! At the present moment Birthday Month only happens twice and year, exactly 6 months apart, during the month of May for Matt’s birthday and the month of October for mine, but we definitely plan to keep it going, and add more months or share the ones that are already birthday months, as we expand our family one day as well!
The point during each birthday month is to share with the person whose birthday it is just how much they mean to you and show them in extra special ways, both big and small, how happy you are that they are here on this earth for yet another year to create memories and share life with you. In our family it’s a simple, yet meaningful, way we share our appreciation for that person and their life by lavishing extra love and attention on them through recognizing the things that they enjoy and dedicating the entire month to what makes them unique and irreplaceable. Of course this does not mean that the other eleven months of the year we go without showing each other attention and tenderness, but rather that we are extra thoughtful, going above and beyond, to make each day out of the ordinarily awesome for that person.
We usually pick one over the top extra special thing to do for each other each day during the month of the individuals birthday, and it usually comes in the form of a surprise, so that the birthday boy or girl has something a little above average to look forward to each day. Every day holds a different gift that express a variety of love languages. Some are bigger and more expensive, while others cost nothing at all material wise but took a lot of effort and creativity to put together. For example we might choose to give the other person the birthday gift that we bought for them one day, and then the next day instead of giving them a material gift we treat them to their favorite home cooked meal. We also like to get our loved ones involved since we know how much they loved and have been touched by that specific persons life as well. Plus, things tend to be more enjoyable if you share the experience with others and allow them to be apart of the fun. A good example of this would be a family dinner that we put together to. On more hallmark years, such as this one for Matt since he turned 25, we usually plan something a little bigger to include some close friends as well as family. For example, this past birthday month we put together a surprise birthday cookout with our everybody to celebrate Matt, which was extra fun to plan with my amazing Mother in-love.
Lastly, we’d just like to give a few ideas to inspire everyones own personal family traditions for celebrating the important people that make up your families on their birthdays. Because the fact that they are here on this earth building a life with you makes living that much more wonderful. So we should celebrate that treasured relationship, that important person for who God created them to be, as much as we can while we can.
1.Write a note telling them the specific ways they have impacted your life and why their life has changed yours for the better.
2.Allow them to pick the dinner menu for the month so they can have their favorite foods all month long, especially the ones the sacrifice because they know that they’re not favorites for the rest of the family.
3.Offer to cook all the meals and do all the chores all month long so they can relax a little extra.
4.Plan a special date night to their favorite restaurant in town.
5.Take them out to do a certain hobby that they really enjoy but do not get to do that often. Better yet make it a date and do it together! There’s nothing like learning something new with someone important in your life to bring you closer and create yet another shared interest!
6. Buy their favorite sweet treat, rent their favorite movie and have a fun movie night in, in their honor!
7. Give them foot,back,shoulder,neck rubs after a long hard day at work. Find out what place on their body is feeling the most stress and do your best to relieve the tension from their workday, especially if they have a job where they are standing on their feet all day long, carrying around heavy material or doing a lot of paperwork etc.
8. Plan a surprise party or family dinner in their honor to celebrate with those who also have been affected for the better by their life.
9. Leave extra sweet surprises for them in their car or on the counter for them to enjoy. This could be anything from a little note to their favorite snack. Anything that shows your know the little things that they love and therefore pay attention to who they are.
10. Give them a gift that you know they will cherish and enjoy. For example, Matt loves hunting and being outdoors. He has told me in the past how when he is out in the nature he feels closest to God, especially on his families farm. I know when he goes hunting in the early morning, during the spring and fall, he loves to use the time he spends waiting to talk with God and read the Bible. So when my mother in-love and I went shopping for Black Friday this past year we saw a camouflage, waterproof Bible that could easily fit in Matt’s back pocket I picked it up for him and saved it until his birthday, knowing he would get so much eminence enjoyment from it and knowing that, with the help of my sweet mother in love, I knew him well enough to pick out something that he would absolutely love and find useful.
11. Pin point specific encouraging Bible verse that remind you of them and tell them how you believe their life and story fits with Gods word. Even better, write them down as well as your personal description as to why you see these characteristics in their life so they can keep them as a daily reminder of what God says about them and how their life is a literal representation of Him.
We hope these ideas encourage and inspire you to show those in your life how big of a blessing they are and just how much God has used them to touch your life in your own special way.
Much love & prayer,
Matt & Blair