What a great first start to the 2015 January was! There was time spent with family and friends both spontaneously put together and deliberately planned, a fun mini weekend get away, new recipes tried and of course cozy evenings snuggled up on our couch or in our bed reading and talking about our days and the things God is teaching us personally and together as a family. It was just a really great month!
A few highlights from our January ’15 were:
- Having our Brother John and nieces, Mary and Evie come and visit for New Years. Technically this was the end of December, but close enough! 🙂
- Celebrating New Years Eve with Mawmaw.
- Going to Pittsburgh, PA for the first weekend in January to visit with Aunt B, Uncle Doug, Ciara, Savannah, Emily and Nana! Sadly, we don’t have a ton of pics from that visit because we were all too busy enjoying the moments spent together, relaxing by the fire, eating Christmas cookies/candy, talking about life and of course watching some UK Basketball/Penguins Hockey games, and Harry Potter marathon’s on ABC family!
- Trying Hot Yoga for the first time with Kristin and Lizz!! Not going to lie, I was pretty nervous about taking this step in my personal practice. I have been a big fan of yoga, and practiced it pretty regularly, since I was a freshman in college, back in 2008, but it was never the intense “let’s burn 1000 calories and sweat a whole ocean in 75 minutes” kind. I can not say this enough…. I. LOVED. IT. Seriously. It was A-mazing! It was easily one of the most relaxing things I did this month, but don’t be fooled I was feeling that intense workout session three days afterwards!
- Random get togethers with Kristin! I love it when a spontaneous hang out turns into an all afternoon shopping, coffee, and just in general hang out session. You can only do those type of days with someone you have known and called your friends for 14 years, and counting!
- Family dinners and game night with our MomPom and sister Kiki-Di. We try to get together and have a family night at least a couple nights a month, and they usually involve some yummy homemade meal our MomPom whipped up, a movie or UK game and some good conversation. This month though we shook things up a bit and had a game night which was an all around winner in everyones books! It was fun to do an activity together, act a bit silly and just become closer as a family.
- Carrielis gymnastics meet. We have been going to this talented sisters gymnastics meets and been supporting and encouraging her in this sport for over seven years! It is so incredible to see how far she has come! I remember doing kart-wheels and toe touches with her on the front lawn of the farm back when she only came up to my belly button. And now not only is she the same height as me but she can do tucks, layouts and so much more! Even though she has far surpassed what my gymnast skills ever were she still finds time to do a kart wheel or two on the lawn with me every now and then. lol
- Our friends Andrew and Taylor Bishop getting married!!! The love these two have for God and for each other is so beautifully, genuinely deep you just can’t help but be moved by them! We had the best time celebrating this new little family that God has founded between these two and feel so honored that we get to watch as their story continues to unfold!
- Chill nights spent with friends. Whether it was a couples game nights, or just having dinner, talking and watching Scandal, we had a such a blast just hanging out with our friends Matt and Paige, and Tim and Katie. It really is a blessing to have other young married couples that are in the same phase of life that you are, that love The Lord and want to see His will played out in their families just as much as we do. It just makes life more fun to do it with community!
- Bourbon Bacon Baklava! Carmelita’s! Buffalo Chicken Dip! Homemade Teriyaki Venison Jerky! We had such a fun time just cooking/baking up a storm together a couple Saturdays ago, trying all those fun new recipes mentioned above! The kitchen might have been a bit of a mess afterwards, but it was totally worth the clean up to make some memories together and share those tasty treats with our friends, family and each other.
- Of course there were the things that we do pretty regularly that we cherish as well like eating and cooking dinner together every night, praying together before we leave for work and when we go to bed every evening, cuddling with our puppies, having our weekly Tuesday evening dinners with Mawmaw and just sharing our lives with each other through out the week. Those are the little things that seem to make a big difference in the day to day, and deserve to be highlighted just as much as the bigger events.
We hope your January was as eventful as ours and that you were able to find time to make memories and cherish the life that God has given you in the once in a lifetime moments as well as the daily ones just like we were. Thanks for catching up with us!
Much love & prayer,
Matt & Blair